KRISHI VIGYAN KENDRA, NORTH & MIDDLE ANDAMAN
Krishi Vigyan Kendra (KVK), North and Middle Andaman was established in 2012 .It comes under ATARI Zone – II, Kolkata under the administrative control of Central Island Agricultural Research Institute (CIARI), Port Blair.The prime goal of KVK Nimbudera is to accelerate agricultural and allied production in the north and middle Andaman besides imparting training as per needs and requirements of the farmers, farm women and rural youths including school drop-outs for entrepreneurship development and women empowerment . “Teaching by doing” and “learning by doing” through work experience is the principle methods of imparting skill & training programmes. The mandate of the institution is imparting vocational training to the practicing farmers including, farm women, youth and extension functionaries in improved technologies in the field of agriculture, horticulture, animal husbandry, fisheries ,home science and other allied enterprises. It has additional responsibilities of testing and refining the developed technologies and also to conduct front line demonstrations of new technologies in the farmer’s field.
- Technology Assessment and Demonstration for its Application and Capacity Development
- On-farm testing to assess the location specificity of agricultural technologies under various farming systems.
- Organize Frontline Demonstrations to establish production potential of technologies on the farmers’ fields.
- Capacity development of farmers and extension personnel to update their knowledge and skills on modern agricultural technologies.
- To work as knowledge and resource centre of agricultural technologies for supporting initiatives of public, private and voluntary sector in improving the agricultural economy of the district..
- Provide farm advisories using ICT and other media means on varied subjects of interest of farmers
The KVK was started functioning from december 2014.During the year 2014-15 a total number of 16 training programmes (vocational) were conducted by the SMS of Agronomy/Extension, Fisheries, Horticulture, Animal Sciences, Home Science, Farm agro forestry and Agricultural Engineering faculties.The major target groups of training were farmers (198), farm women (152) and rural youth (66) for up scaling their knowledge and skills. The training programmes were conducted with the involvement of the Scientists of CIARI and officials of the Development Departments of A&N Administration, to devolve an integrated and holistic approach. While imparting the training, the principles of ‘Teaching by doing’ and ‘Learning by doing’ were thoroughly followed with an objective to have a desirable change in knowledge, skill and attitude improvements. The major training programmes undertaken by the respective faculties were on MAT nursery and SRI methods on paddy, oilseeds and pulses production technology, nursery raising techniques, plant propagation methods, traditional and non-traditional vegetable cultivation methods, multi-tier cropping system methods, backyard poultry farming practices, goatery, piggery, duck farming, fodder cultivation, composite fish culture, integrated fish farming, nutrition and health of women and children.
|Dr. V Damodaran
|Sr. Scientist & Head
|Er. Manoj Kumar
|SMS (Agri. Engineering)
|Smti. Minakshi Routray